[Labs-l] Failure in submitting python job to grid engine after upgrade

Anthony Di Franco di.franco at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 06:07:02 UTC 2015

Not sure if this is a labs-specific issue or just a stumper for me on how
the infrastructure works, but I'm having trouble after the upgrade of
tools-login submitting jobs from it to the grid engine in a way that worked
pre-upgrade.

I have a python script running from a virtualenv (I had to rebuild the
virtualenv for the new python version,) which, when run from tools-login
directly, runs fine, but when submitted via the grid engine, is unable to
import the SSL module correctly (symptom: httplib2 does not initialize
properly in a way that indicates SSL module did not load).

I was originally running the virtualenv-installed python executable via its
absolute path. I switched to sourcing c-env from the script and running the
python so implied in hopes that might give me a better chance of the right
environment; no luck.

I have looked at specifying PYTHONPATH and examined sys.path from within
the script to confirm it is the same in both cases.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going wrong? Could a
system-wide SSL module that subtly doesn't work, or is absent, be
implicated? Differences in what the module itself, if it is the same, is
doing under the two conditions?