[Labs-l] Questions regarding the Labs Terms of use

Rainer Rillke rainerrillke at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 13 18:30:37 UTC 2015

> Yes, it clearly states that all software has to be under an Open
> Source license. But I see no requirement that the software has to be
> publicly released anywhere, although it would presumably be
> permissible under the required Open Source license for anyone else
> with access to it on Labs to publicly redistribute it.

There is an important misconception: Never assume the author licensed
their code implicitly because the Terms of Use required them to only use
open Source software on Labs or because it's linked to a component
requiring copyleft. Only the author is able to grant a license but if
they refuse to for code one got into ones fingers or if they are
obviously closed source software, the right course of action here would
be to drop their software from Labs immediately.

One question remains, though: What to do if file permissions are set in
a way one can't see the code... or, as suggested it is compiled and/or
obfuscated. Would that be against Lab's spirit of promoting openSource?