[Labs-l] If you see Duplicate declaration: File[/etc/ssh/userkeys]

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 12 16:46:13 UTC 2015

Users of tool-labs can ignore this message.

I just encountered an issue with my self-puppetized instance which I
think is a result of some recent puppet refactoring.  The failure looked
like this:

Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on
SERVER: Duplicate declaration: File[/etc/ssh/userkeys] is already
declared in file
/etc/puppet/private/modules/passwords/manifests/init.pp:36; cannot
redeclare at /etc/puppet/modules/ssh/manifests/server.pp:31 on node
designate-devel.eqiad.wmflabs

This problem was solved like this:

$ sudo su -
# cd /var/lib/git/labs/private
# sudo GIT_SSH=/var/lib/git/ssh git pull --rebase

If you already have a cron or something that updates that then you won't
encounter this problem.  But anyone with a seat-of-the-pants self-hosted
puppet instance will probably need to do this update /if/ you have also
recently updated your puppet rpo in /var/lib/git/operations/puppet.

-Andrew