[Labs-l] Love for Labs (was: Re: Unplanned outage in progress)

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 24 09:02:47 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Pine W <wiki.pine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you think that it would it help with the reliability of Labs if I
> approached Damon to discuss the value of reliable tools and asking him to
> do whatever needs to be done to improve Tools reliability?

Hey Pine --

The first conversations about next fiscal's plan are starting to happen,
and Damon and I already talked a fair bit about additional support for Labs
-- infrastructure, development, design, management. I'm even calling this
out as a top priority in my first round input.

What would be cool is if community members created a page on Meta or
elsewhere clarifying 1) why Labs is important (perhaps showcasing key
examples/data), 2) what the main current pain points are, 3) what level of
support beyond that you'd ideally like to see. I will certainly do an
abridged version of that regardless but having a clear, strong ask from
Wikimedians would be very valuable for the conversation. Would you be up
for organizing something like that?

In the meantime, please note that --

- the *scheduled* upcoming outage is for a capacity upgrade, so as painful
as it is, it actually is an example of us beefing up support already
- Yuvi joined the team in spite of no planned additional hires for Labs
this fiscal, and we're certainly open to similar internal moves if
absolutely needed right now. That is indeed something you'd want to talk to
Damon/MarkB about.

Erik

--
Erik Möller
VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation