[Labs-l] Partial (but dramatic) labs outage on Tuesday: 2015-02-24 1500UTC-1800UTC

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 19 21:00:58 UTC 2015

It is with a heavy heart that I must share the news of an upcoming Labs
maintenance window.

The labs NFS store (which you probably know as /data/project) is filling
up rapidly and we need to add more drives.  By weird coincidence the
actual physical space for that server in the datacenter is ALSO filling
up, so Chris Johnson has graciously agreed to spend his day re-shuffling
servers in order to make space for the new diskshelf.  This involves
lots of unplugging and replugging and amounts to the fact that the NFS
server will need to be turned off for several hours.

During this window Chris will take care of another long-deferred
maintenance task -- he's putting more RAM into the labs puppet master,
virt1000.

What will break:

- Shared storage for all labs and tools instances.  That includes
volumes like /data/project, /public/dumps, /data/scratch, /home

- Logins to all instances running ubuntu Precise.  (Trusty hosts will
/probably/ still support logins.)

- Login to wikitech and manipulation of instances.

What won't break:

- Labs instances will continue to run

- Tasks running on instances will continue to run; those that don't rely
on shared storage should be fine.

- Web proxies should keep working, if the services they support aren't
relying on shared storage.

What will get better:

- More storage space!

- Fewer problems with dumps filling up NFS (which is basically the same
as 'more storage space'.

- More reliable puppet runs and fewer outages with miscellaneous
OpenStack services (which also run on virt1000)

I apologize in advance for this downtime.  Don't hesitate to contact me
or Coren either here or on IRC with advice about how to harden your tool
against this upcoming outage.  We will also be available on IRC during
and after the outage to help revive things that are angry about the
timeouts.

-Andrew