[Labs-l] [Ops] Debian Jessie now available on Labs

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Wed Feb 18 14:27:55 UTC 2015

On 15-02-18 08:11 AM, Petr Bena wrote:
> Can I ask why you change from ubuntu to debian on production machines?

That is the result of a long discussion within ops during which it was
decided that the direction in which Ubuntu was headed (with its
increasing focus away from server) aligned poorly with our evolving
needs.  (The long of that discussion includes dozens of points of
comparison with at least as many pros and cons as there are members of
the ops team; but systemd vs upstart figured prominently in it).

Given that we were faced with migration towards Trusty, and that the
actual impact of Precise->Trusty is comparable to that of
Precise->Jessie, we decided to do the change sooner rather than later.

-- Marc