[Labs-l] [Ops] Debian Jessie now available on Labs

Jeff Gage jgage at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 18 02:24:59 UTC 2015

Thanks, this is great!

I just ran into this difference with Facter: the version supplied with
Jessie is newer and contains rewritten EC2 facts which don't seem to work
in this image:

$ lsb_release -c
Codename: trusty
$ dpkg -l facter | egrep '^ii' |  awk '{print $3}'
1.7.5-1ubuntu1
$ dpkg -L facter | grep ec2
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/facter/ec2.rb
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/facter/util/ec2.rb
$ sudo facter -p | egrep "^ec2_" | wc -l
*17*

$ lsb_release -c
Codename: jessie
$ dpkg -l facter | egrep '^ii' |  awk '{print $3}'
2.2.0-1
$ dpkg -L facter | grep ec2
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/facter/ec2.rb
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/facter/ec2/
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/facter/ec2/rest.rb
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/facter/util/ec2.rb
$ sudo facter -p | egrep "^ec2_" | wc -l
*0*

It's not clear to me what the cause of this regression is.

In my case I was using the fact 'ec2_instance_id'. Luckily our custom
fact /var/lib/puppet/lib/facter/ec2id.rb still works, so I switched my code
to use 'ec2id' instead.