[Labs-l] Running node.js as a tool?

Gabriel Wicke gwicke at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 4 18:56:40 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Merlijn van Deen <valhallasw at arctus.nl>
wrote:

> For the proxy option, see
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Tool_Labs/Web#Other_web_servers

I don't know all the details for the labs setup, but in general we tend to
run node services as stand-alone web services, which can be (optionally)
proxied to from a front-end service like nginx or lighttpd. The advantage
of having a stand-alone web service is that you can use / test that service
independently from any front-end proxy setup. The downside is that you need
to set up init scripts etc to keep it running reliably. We have developed
pretty standard ways to do this across node services (see for example
mathoid <https://github.com/wikimedia/mathoid>). The next step is to
package those standard solutions up in a tool or template, so that they can
be quickly and consistently applied to new services. This is tracked in
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88585.

Gabriel