[Labs-l] PostgreSQL or access to GCC

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Sun Apr 19 18:10:44 UTC 2015

Jeremy Baron <jeremy at tuxmachine.com> wrote:

> [...]

> You first need to request a new project or join an existing project if
> relevant (normally an option would be tool labs but it sounds like
> maybe you are too big (billions of records) and anyway you probably
> can't get postgres in tool labs.

> postgresql is available in both ubuntu and debian. just a simple apt-get away.

There is also a Labs-wide PostgreSQL instance used for exam-
ple by OSM (labsdb1004); access for that is granted on an
individual basis, though
(cf. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T65382).

However WMF in general and Wikimedia Labs are heavily geared
towards MySQL/MariaDB, especially on the administrative
side, so if there are any problems adding or querying bil-
lions of records, I think fixes and recommendations will be
much slower for PostgreSQL databases.  I understand Jacek
wants to work on IP addresses for which PostgreSQL has dedi-
cated data types, indexes and other goodness, but I would
check how much rewriting and performance degrading a move to
MySQL really would require.

Tim