[Labs-l] Labs newb

Ricordisamoa ricordisamoa at openmailbox.org
Mon Apr 6 04:33:14 UTC 2015

Nice. It reminds me of rech <https://tools.wmflabs.org/pltools/rech/>...

> This is currently implemented on Google AppEngine, basically
> becausethat's what I had to hand when I set out and already knew
> something about using.  It uses the MediaWiki API to retrieve diffs.
> This is not ideal for a few reasons, not least because it wouldn't
> take very heavy use of the tool before I'd have to start paying for
> it, which would probably mean putting ads on it.  I can't be dealing
> with all that.

I suppose the cost is related to Google charging for bandwidth use
beyond a threshold?
Since the app needs JavaScript anyway, you could simply retrieve recent
changes on the client, thus avoiding much of the server-side traffic.

> Somewhere on the API pages, it mentioned that it's possible to develop
> tools in MediaWiki Labs, so here I am.  I've read some of the
> arthitecture and 'getting started' sort of pages on the WikiTech
> pages, but TBH I'm struggling to get my head around it all.  A few
> specific questions:

First of all, let's start right. Please read this page
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Labs_labs_labs> about the naming.
You're probably looking for "/Wikimedia/ Labs" and specifically "/Tool/
Labs".

> Is Labs the right place to develop this sort of tool as part of the
> MediaWiki software, instead of as an external tool?
> I think I need to start a new project for this.  Is that right?
> If so, how do I go about starting a new project?
> Or should I join the Tools project?

Labs is precisely for external tools, and I'd say Tool Labs best fits
your needs.
To enhance MediaWiki's built-in patrolling functionality, you should
read this
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker> instead.
Use your judgement and common sense
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2014-October/075137.html>
to decide whether it's better to develop your tool on Tool Labs or as
part of MediaWiki (either core or an extension).

There are plans for that <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91509>.