[Labs-l] Using data from a tool in a Wikimedia site

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Fri Nov 28 13:28:01 UTC 2014

On 11/28/2014 06:30 AM, Darkdadaah wrote:
> but it would be much better I think for users to have it directly
> integrated in a page in the fr.wiktionary site (e.g.
> [[Wiktionnaire:Recherche avancée]]). This would only require the use of
> a dedicated Gadget on the site.

Part of the reason why the tool labs was constructed the way it was
(sanitized logs, NDA required to be root) is exactly for that reason;
geohack is a salient example that already does something similar.

So yes, it is perfectly allowable to do so - not for labs in general but
for tools project.

The only thing you cannot do is embed a tool on a page implicitly (like
in an iframe and such) but that's for pragmatic technical reasons:  labs
does not scale to the same level the projects do.  So long as hitting
tool labs requires the user to make a positive action (like follow a
lick, or click a button) then you're golden.

-- Marc