[Labs-l] Newly created tools

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 25 20:52:23 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM, T Paris <tparis.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure we should have that sort of a script.  What if a tool author isn't ready to reveal their tool yet?

What if we showed the date only for tools that have a description?
That way folks who want to work in semi-stealth mode can just defer
adding one.

The reason I care about this is that having this kind of visibility
makes it a lot easier for folks who write newsletters & pay attention
to notice interesting tools going online. A tool or bot developed for
one wiki/language might make sense in another that doesn't know about
it yet. I'd love to include new tools/gadgets in
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News for example.

For now I've set up a third party page change monitoring service for
myself (pointed at the directory) to see what's new but this seems
like something that should be easier to find for anyone. :)

Erik
--
Erik Möller
VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation