[Labs-l] Wikidata games

Mark Holmquist mtraceur at member.fsf.org
Tue May 27 16:32:21 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 02:50:03PM +0000, Tim Landscheidt wrote:
> In general, you can find the maintainers of a particular
> tool by looking at http://tools.wmflabs.org/.  This lists
> Magnus Manske for wikidata-game, so now you'd need to know
> that Magnus adds a link to his source repositories in prac-
> tically every one of his tools, except this one :-).  If you
> look at those other tools, you get pointed to
> https://bitbucket.org/magnusmanske where wikidata-game is
> the repository listed at the top.

Then, you look for the license, only to find there isn't one, and realize
you aren't legally allowed to distribute copies (modified or not) of this
software to anyone, which makes contributing to it basically impossible.

Magnus: Please add a license to your repository, in order to bring the
software into compliance with the Labs TOU, which states [0]:

> Proprietary software: Do not use or install any software unless the software is licensed under an Open Source license.

[0] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikitech:Labs_Terms_of_use#What_uses_of_Labs_do_we_not_like.3F

This PSA about How Copyright Works is brought to you by countless hours
hanging out in the FSF channel.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, I just want us to have access and freedom
to use your code :)

--
Mark Holmquist
Software Engineer, Multimedia