[Labs-l] Tools: Mail server outage, submitting jobs from crontabs and cron jobs every minute

Jeremy Baron jeremy at tuxmachine.com
Thu May 22 14:32:53 UTC 2014

On May 22, 2014 10:21 AM, "Brad Jorsch (Anomie)" <bjorsch at wikimedia.org>
wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Tim Landscheidt <tim at tim-landscheidt.de>
wrote:

>> For some reason, they do that with an
>> "421" status and the slightly contradictory "All messages
>> from 208.80.155.162 will be permanently deferred; Retrying
>> will NOT succeed."
>
> That's dumb, I agree. Probably they want to close the connection for that
particular situation instead of waiting for the client to QUIT, and 421 is
the only status in RFC 5321 that allows the server to close the connection.
IMO a better solution would be to issue 5xx responses to every command
until the client goes away, since a well-behaved client will go away
immediately and a spammer will probably retry their spam anyway.

> But SMTP really could use a "521" response code to indicate a permanent
delivery failure with connection close.

Or maybe the message they send back I'd just badly worded? I don't know.

Anyway, see
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=56414%2C59731

-Jeremy