[Labs-l] Proxy checker on Labs

Marc-André Pelletier mpelletier at wikimedia.org
Sun Mar 30 20:13:15 UTC 2014

On 03/30/2014 11:43 AM, rubin.happy wrote:
> I want to move this tool to Labs, I looked through terms of use and
> found nothing that prohibits such "IP scanning". Anyway, I want to
> consult whether such work is really acceptable for Labs: any thoughts?

It may or may not fall under the "accessing other systems without
authorization" clause as the use you propose lies in an uncomfortably
gray area of some laws.

I have no /technical/ objection to it, provided that (a) you scan for
proxies without attempting to breach security; (b) that you only do so
very conservatively rate-limited (for instance, to no more than once per
day per IP at the most).

But, in addition to this, you'll need a specific okay from WMF Legal.

-- Marc