[Labs-l] Proxy checker on Labs

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 20:05:31 UTC 2014

On 30/03/14 17:43, rubin.happy wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I wrote a tool that scans IP-s that recently edited Wikipedia and tries
> to connect to these IP-s: in case bot succeeds in this, IP is blocked as
> an open proxy.

I hope it both verifies you can request *a Wikipedia page* and it is
successfully returned. It is not a crime to edit from an IP where there
is a web server running. :)

> I want to move this tool to Labs, I looked through terms of use and
> found nothing that prohibits such "IP scanning". Anyway, I want to
> consult whether such work is really acceptable for Labs: any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

I don't think that's the kind of thing WMF will want to do, but it's up
to them. If I were them, at least I would want to use a dedicated ip
with a meaningful reverse-dns suggesting the project goal (eg.
proxy-scan.wmflabs.org).