[Labs-l] Labs project migration *Important, deadlines approaching*

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Mon Mar 24 17:29:58 UTC 2014

     We've had a few hiccups, but project migration is going reasonably
well.  You can check on the current migration status of a project here:

https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Labs_Eqiad_Migration/Progress

     About 20 or so projects are still in the 'pending' section up top.
If your project is among them, please finish up and file your project
entry in the appropriate section (presumably, 'Finished migration').  I
don't have any open migration bugs in bugzilla, so if you are waiting
for me to help with something, I don't know about it.  Please contact me
immediately if you still need migration help from me.

Friday Deadline

     On Friday I'll be shutting down all pmtpa instances.  They won't be
immediately deleted, but they will become inaccessible, and wikitech
will no longer display an interface for pmtpa.  DNS for the old bastions
(e.g. bastion.wikimedia.org) will be changed to point to bastions in eqiad.

Shared Storage copies from pmtpa

     I've copied the shared data from /home and /data/project in every
project to eqiad.  Copies of this data can be found filed away in each
project's new shared directories.  If you browse to /data/project or
/home in your new eqiad instance you will see two directories,
"glustercopy" and "pmtpa_nfs_copy".  These dirs contain backups of the
shared gluster and nfs data from pmtpa.  Note, however, that these
copies were made at unpredictable times during the last couple of
weeks.  If you require a live, up-to-date copy of your data, please file
a bug so that I know to re-sync the data after pmtpa instances are fully
shut off.

Next steps, coming weeks

     After pmtpa instances are shut down, I'll wait a few days for the
dust to settle and to listen for surprised shouts of alarm from folks
who haven't been following this list.
     I will also migrate wikitech from virt0 (the pmtpa web host) to
virt1000 (the equivalent host in eqiad.)  This will entail a small
amount of downtime, to be announced in a future email.
     Sometime after the first of the month (that's next Tuesday) we will
start shutting down pmtpa in earnest -- powering off machines, wiping
drives, packing servers into crates, etc.  Anything that's left in pmtpa
by then will be truly lost for good.

Next steps, coming months

     The mothballed projects are currently on long-term probation. In a
few months I'll review the list and determine which projects remain
entirely untouched.  Projects that seem fully abandoned will be wiped
from eqiad as well, and their resources returned to the pool for use by
new projects.  I will, of course, provide a further series of
announcements and warnings before anything of this nature happens.

Thank you all for your patience and assistance during this difficult
process!

-Andrew