[Labs-l] permission/access denied issues when connecting to wmflabs

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Fri Mar 21 15:45:58 UTC 2014

Ann Samoilenko <ann.samoilenko at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use Putty, specify my SSH key, my login and password, and Putty gets me
> to /. (still saying that access to home/torin8 is denied).

> When you authenticate, don't you use password and your SSH key?

> [...]

Labs (Tools) accounts don't have passwords, only ssh keys;
it could be that you protected the private half of your ssh
key with a password (often also called passphrase).

Anyhow, the problem with /home/annabel seems to have been a
known bug that doesn't create the home directories of new
users properly under certain circumstances that are hard to
debug.

I have however no idea how /home/torin8 got owned by root.

I fixed both, and if these were the only issues, you should
be able to log in now.

Tim