[Labs-l] Beta cluster migration status

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Thu Mar 20 20:15:39 UTC 2014

Hello,

The beta cluster is being recreated from scratch on EQIAD.  I took that
decision to make sure everything is puppetized and to hopefully update
the documentation.

Most of the instances we need have been recreated in EQIAD and the
relevant puppet manifests applied to them.

We have public IP addresses assigned and bound to the frontend Varnish
caches.

Instances that needs additional disk space use the role::labs::lvm::mnt
class which creates a LVM logical volume using all the remaining disk
space available and mount it on /mnt/.

The shared directory has been copied from pmtpa to eqiad. It is used for
the uploaded files (we don't use Swift yet), the Apache configuration
and the MediaWiki repositories.  Ariel Glenn helped out migrating the
thumbnail rendering frontend.

Bryan Davis created an instance in EQIAD to test our python deployment
system (scap from mediawiki/tools/release.git) and adapt it for the beta
cluster.

Bryan also created a local puppet master, that would let us apply our
own little hack while waiting for proper reviewing by the ops team and
merge in operations/puppet.git

On the top of that Bryan added a local salt master which would let us
maintain the instances from a central place. For example to upgrade
packages or restart Apaches.

Finally Sean Pringle is creating a fresh new databases for us which will
use MariaDB instead of the old MySQL version we have been using so far.

What left to be done:

- complete the MariaDB setup [Sean Pringle]
- configure the Jenkins slaves that keeps code up-to-date [Antoine]
- polish up the Parsoid infrastructure [Antoine]
- test out beta cluster on EQIAD  [QA / Everyone!!]
- switch DNS from PMTPA to EQIAD

I am confident we are on track to complete the migration by the end of
March.

\O/

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso