[Labs-l] Labs project migration, next steps

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Mar 14 18:20:51 UTC 2014

To refresh your memory, here is the page that tracks progress with
project migration:

https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Labs_Eqiad_Migration/Progress

We're well on our way!  Out of about 100 original projects, 20 are now
either fully moved or scheduled for deletion.  Another dozen or so have
been claimed by various volunteers.

If you have claimed a project but have not yet finished moving it,
that's fine -- I'll be busy mothballing abandoned projects next week, so
I won't circle back to the claimed projects until the end of next week
at the earliest.

If there is a project that you care about that is not claimed on the
Progress page, you need to claim it!  Unclaimed projects will be shut
down at an unpredictable time of my choosing sometime in the next week
or two.

Here, in greater detail, is what will start happening next week. Please
contact me if you need me to make an exception for any reason.

== Unclaimed projects ==

I'm going to start mothballing projects that are entirely unmarked on
the Progress page.  Mothballed instances will vanish from pmtpa and
appear in eqiad in a 'shutdown' state.  Their shared storage files will
be copied over to eqiad but stored in subdirs of the normal NFS volumes.

These projects are not destroyed.  They will, however, cease to provide
any active services and will be largely unreachable without intervention
on the part of a labs op or an experienced volunteer. In the future I
will be happy to help revive any mothballed project, but you'll be stuck
waiting for me to have time to do it.

== Claimed, unfinished projects ==

I will try to check in individually with owners of in-progress
projects.  As always, please contact me if you need assistance with
copying instances or data.  Your migration needs to be finished by the
21st of March, at which point I will delete instances in pmtpa that have
duplicates in eqiad, and mothball instances that are still running in pmtpa.

If you know that an instance can be deleted, please delete it yourself
to save me the trouble of copying and storing it.

== Claimed, finished projects ==

Pmtpa instances and storage for projects that are marked as 'Finished'
on the Progress page will be subject to capricious, unpredictable
deletion.  In reality I'll probably let most things sit until we're
ready to decommission the hardware... but don't count on it.

== Discarded projects ==

At some point I'll delete the project metadata for discarded projects,
at which point they will cease to exist in wikitech entirely.