[Labs-l] Special Signpost report on the Toolserver and Wikimedia Labs: contributions required

Maciej Jaros egil at wp.pl
Mon Jun 16 21:32:59 UTC 2014

Harry Burt (2014-06-15 20:44):
> Hi all (and apologies for crossposting)
>
> I'm hoping to write a special report for the Signpost [1] about the
> state of Labs as we head into the post-Toolserver era (how people are
> finding it, its future). I'd also like to write an "obituary" for the
> Toolserver.
>
> All your thoughts, comments, and ideas are welcome via public and
> private communication, though I can't promise to fit them all in! The
> reports, if accepted for publication, would air at some point over the
> next month.
>
> As you may be aware, I've been both a Toolserver and Labs developer,
> so I've an idea of what people will want to say, but do try to
> surprise me :)

Despite some gotchas when moving my scripts and missing parts in docs on
Labs... I actually might surprise you that I like Labs ;-). I miss
having a personal page and having a central place for assets, but I
think that it's good I was forced to split projects. Someone could take
over any of them easier.

So I was forced to worked differently but I think it's a good direction.
Some Jenkins-like tool might be helpful I guess for supporting more
tools, but... many devs like command line and GUI is evil ;-), so I
guess that won't happen.

Regards,
Nux.