[Labs-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia goals for Labs

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Tue Jun 10 15:59:09 UTC 2014

Le 10/06/2014 14:12, Marc A. Pelletier a écrit :
> Hello everyone,
>
> WMF Engineering has just published its draft annual goals for
> engineering on mediawiki.org[1]; and it includes a nifty section for
> planned objectives for Labs in the coming year.
>
> Please leave any comments/questions on the talk page; are there glaring
> omissions or mistakes?  Things you'd like to see better covered?
>
> Our goals are reviewed at least quarterly, and we're always open to
> continual feedback, but now is the best time to help refine and
> influence the "big picture" of our focus for the coming year.
>
> -- Marc
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/2014-15_Goals

Hello,

Q3 is nice (IPv6, opening up OpenStack API and investigating Horizon).

I would suggest:

 - a self-service monitoring system. We had a nagios at some point but I
never figured out how to use it.

 - root emails sent to a mailing list with automatic subscription of
project admins to it.

 - revamping Ganglia. I thought I would have time to handle it but
definitely do not :-(

 - easy option to have a per project salt master. That really ease the
maintenance tasks.

 - optional per project puppetmaster with the ability to merge change
via Gerrit.  That could potentially be done by having a per project
module in a standalone git repo which would be fetched along the
operations/puppet.git repo.  No more having to set a puppetmaster self
or beg ops for merge.

 - DNS split horizon! Whenever requesting a DNS entry pointing to a labs
public IP address, NAT prevents us from reaching the instance being it.
 Having DNS to yield back the private IP whenever it is queried from
labs would solve it.
  Brandon Black found out last week that dnsmasq allow such aliasing:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/138017/   we could extract the
public/private IP mapping from openstack.

I might have other crazy ideas.  Maybe I should fill them in Bugzilla
instead of proposing to clutter the goals page? :-]

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso