[Labs-l] displaying puppet status for each host

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 17:14:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf at free.fr> wrote:

> Le 30/01/14 14:57, Ryan Lane a écrit :
> > Why start off with puppet now? Why not go with salt or ansible and save
> > yourself the trouble of eventually migrating?
>
> Can we run salt on all instances of a project for which we are a project
> admin?  If so, I would love to be pointed at a doc for it :)

So, I actually started work on this and have it 90% of the way there.

You can set up your own salt master inside of the project and point your
instances to it. At that point you'd have full salt control of all of your
project's instances. Of course, a problem there is that the master on
virt0/1000 wouldn't be able to talk to the instances anymore. There's a
salt feature to handle that, though: syndic. So, what we'd need to do is
set up your master as a syndic, then trust the syndic on virt0/1000. The
syndic would pass any commands along that come from virt0/1000.

Maybe I can finish this up and write some docs.

- Ryan