[Labs-l] displaying puppet status for each host

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 13:57:46 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 2:06 AM, Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is something I am now trying to set up on my own servers but it
> would be useful on labs too.
>
> I recently started using puppet on my servers too (I like it, unlike
> on labs where I rather hate it - because using puppet when you need to
> wait weeks / months for every simple config change to get merged and
> applied is true nightmare of every sysadmin), however what I am having
> troubles with now, is how to check what the puppet status of each node
> is, other than sshing there and checking puppet agent logs.

Why start off with puppet now? Why not go with salt or ansible and save
yourself the trouble of eventually migrating?

> Is there some nice web GUI or something like that, which would display
> status of every node, errors, warnings etc. So that I could have easy
> to reach overview of all nodes managed by puppet? I think this would
> be extremely helpful on labs as well. Nagios can display puppet
> freshness, but that isn't very much.

Puppet dashboard exists, but I think it's enterprise only now? There's also
a fork of it, but it basically requires puppetdb, which requires puppet 3
(which I'd hope you're using, since you're starting from scratch).

> Imagine a nagios-like website where you would have a list of all nodes
> maintained by puppet, with detail configuration information, which
> manifests are used on each node and if they were successfully applied,
> when etc. Is there anything like that? Can we set it up on labs? Can
> someone tell me how to do that or link me to some resources? Thanks

This has been done in labs for a while now. Check out the Manage instances
view.

- Ryan