[Labs-l] Possible sudo breakage on labs instances

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 9 04:35:45 UTC 2014

I've verified that this is fixed on tool-labs, so tools users can
probably disregard.

A production puppet change that I just merged[1] has had the effect of
breaking sudo and puppet on a lot of labs instances.  I've now resolved
this issue[2] but some instances may be immune to the fix if their salt
configuration is not correct.

If you find yourself having new, unexpected sudo problems, the solution is:

$ sudo SUDO_FORCE_REMOVE=yes dpkg --remove sudo
$ sudo puppet agent -t

...of course if your sudo is broken then you probably can't run that :)
In that case, please respond to this email and I will run the command
for you.

[1]  https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/178399/
[2]  https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/178427/