[Labs-l] Help Needed to Install Server on Labs, Submit Patches to Manifest (funding available)

Jake Orlowitz jorlowitz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 19:55:06 UTC 2014

Hi Labs Folks,

I'm Jake Orlowitz (User:Ocaasi). I need help creating the puppet manifest
for a tool I'm building, installing an apache server with javascript code
support so that I can submit patches to the manifest for this tool:

https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Full-text-reference-tool/Documentation

The tool uses Library Cooperative OCLC and their API to connect Wikipedia
reader to full-text versions of article references.  When it works, it will
provide a link next to each reference which goes directly to full text
(already authenticated through the user's ip address)

The tool has some particular privacy implications because it receives
referrer and ip information, so Coren and I laid out a plan to deal with
that which he seems comfortable with:

1. The tool is hosted on its own Instance not on Tool Labs
2. All of the members on the project have nondisclosure agreements with WMF
3. WMF legal has reviewed disclosure language that will appear with the
tool, which will be an opt-in only userscript
4. The tool will only load on button-click rather than on page-load
5. Once the server is setup and the code is tested, the tool will get an
SSL certificate from WMF before deployment
6.  The OCLC API is also https enabled

Coren suggested this server setup would take only 1-2 hours of work, and if
it would in any way be helpful, I have budget in my grant for a couple
hundred dollars for tech implementation to get the task completed on a
short timeframe (next 2 weeks).

If you are interested, or know someone who is, please let me know!  This is
a neat tool that can benefit libraries, readers, and editors and I can't
wait to get it out!

Thanks,

Jake Orlowitz (Ocaasi)
Head of The Wikipedia Library