[Labs-l] Production status of labs (wsa Re: Reboot of virt11 Friday Sept 6 at 20:00 UTC)

Merlijn van Deen valhallasw at arctus.nl
Sun Sep 8 16:50:59 UTC 2013

On 8 September 2013 00:18, Marc A. Pelletier <marc at uberbox.org> wrote:

> You're missing the point of the distinction between "production",
>  "semi-production" and "not production" -- the difference is exactly how
> many 9's of availability we are gunning for, and how many people are
> woken up by an outage to ensure that.

I think Maarten is well aware of this difference. On the contrary: the
discussion started with Maarten asking the following:

> How long will he downtime be and can you please announce earlier? A week
is a normal notice time.
> The Wiki Loves Monuments tools and applications (like the mobile app)
rely on this so please keep it as short as possible.

That is not asking for 99.999% uptime. It's asking for the same heads-up
time we had - and still have! - for the Toolserver. It's asking for more
than one evening to prepare for possible downtime: the downtime was
announced less than 48 hours in advance, around midnight CEST.

That being said, I would like to repeat Maarten's question: can we *please*
get information on what is going to happen, when, and how long the expected
downtime is, preferrable about a week in advance?

Thanks.

Merlijn