[Labs-l] OAuth is here!

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Sat Nov 23 22:18:57 UTC 2013

On 11/23/2013 11:57 AM, Marc-André Pelletier wrote:
> On 11/23/2013 08:07 AM, Maarten Dammers wrote:
>> Would be nice if https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:TUSC could be
>> replaced by this.
>
> Actually, TUSC is likely to be better replaced by OpenID instead, but
> I'm pretty sure we're going to be deploying /that/ fairly soon too.  :-)

TUSC is definitely used for taking actions on Wikimedia wikis.  For
instance, http://tools.wmflabs.org/commonshelper/ lets you log in via
TUSC.  If you do so, it will transfer a file from a local project to
Commons for you (otherwise, you have to do the actual upload yourself).

As is, it still has to do the upload as 'File Upload Bot (Magnus
Manske)' on your behalf.  OAuth will allow uploading it as the real user
by authorizing 'uploadfile'.

I haven't seen TUSC used for simply logging into other sites without
intending to take an action on a Wikimedia wiki.  It may be, somewhere,
though.

At any rate, it will be great to have OpenID provider support as well.

Matt Flaschen