[Labs-l] List of packages that are supported by tool labs

Marc-André Pelletier mpelletier at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 12 14:27:51 UTC 2013

On 11/12/2013 03:48 AM, Ryan Lane wrote:
> If so, who's been running apt-get install manually on any of them? If
> the instances were configured with puppet and nothing manual was ever
> installed they should all look 100% the same.

To a point; I've noticed some amount of drift over time as images get
built, dependencies vary, and the exact list of package changes (puppet
never removes unless asked explicitly).

As I've said earlier in the thread, if a tool has a dependency, then it
must be requested for and listed in exec_environ.  If you rely on
something that isn't there*, then you are gambling.

That said, this does not address version drift; our general policy of
using ensure => present rather than ensure => latest can cause some more
issues as instances filling the same role are installed at different
points in time -- but that's another issue.

-- Marc

* Except for the minimal server install, of course.  Listing fileutils
or bash in dependencies is not useful.