[Labs-l] List of packages that are supported by tool labs

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 12 08:48:47 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not really, this give me a list of packages that are installed by all
> classes recursively, but what if someone decide to remove some package
> from some class that the tool labs classes are inherited from?
>
> I think that only logical way of maintaining such a list would be to
> make it by hand and ensure that all packages on such a list are
> somewhere included (in some class).

I'm sorry, but when you suggest doing anything by hand, ever, you're
suggesting the wrong thing. If a package gets removed and it was needed,
then it should have been listed in the puppet config. The goal of
configuration management is to never, ever do anything manually that
affects the state of the system.

> But I don't really think that anybody cares, hence almost no responses
> to this... Tool labs appear to me to be pretty much random when it
> comes to sw support... somewhere some stuff works, somewhere it
> doesn't...

When you say somewhere it works and somewhere it doesn't, do you mean exec
nodes? If so, who's been running apt-get install manually on any of them?
If the instances were configured with puppet and nothing manual was ever
installed they should all look 100% the same. If a manual action was ever
taken on any of them, then that someone is doing ops poorly.

- Ryan