[Labs-l] Can no longer use Content-type: text/text and web server is slow - Tools/Help/NewWeb

Bryan White bgwhite at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 23:03:47 UTC 2013

>On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Bryan White <bgwhite at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As the speed of the web server dropped to cold tar running uphill
>> levels on Friday/Saturday, would another change to the web server's
>> confiig file be causing the problem?

>I believe the way of the future is the new system documented at
>https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Tools/Help/NewWeb
>

>--
>Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
>Software Engineer
>Wikimedia Foundation

One gigantic problem... The documentation.  The docs tell nothing
about it except how to start/stop the new web server.  Why should I
move to the new server when there is only a bit of info on how to do
it?

The  "Configuring the web server" section gives no help in actually
configuring the thing.
".htaccess is no longer supported" What do I use in its place?
"There is no separate /cgi-bin/ handling", Where does it go then?  Can
I link it so the old address works?
Can both web servers run at the same time?  If not, how do I test
configs for the new one without taking the production server down?

Remember, we are users.  As my t-shirt from ThinkGeek says:
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 rows were returned

Bryan