[Labs-l] Naming of the two Tool Labs projects

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Fri May 3 13:45:03 UTC 2013

Silke Meyer <silke.meyer at wikimedia.de> wrote:

> On the German version of the Roadmap somebody commented on the naming
> of the two projects "Bots" and "Tools" and found them unclear: From
> what I understood the main differences between the two are 1) how
> stable or experimental the tools are and 2) how the maintenance is
> organized (rather community-driven or done by WMF staff and
> WMF-approved volunteer admins). It is true that the name "Bots"
> doesn't exactly tell "this is for experimental stuff". It rather
> sounds like "this is for bots only".
> Can these projects be easily renamed? If so, we should think about
> choosing more meaningful names for them (e.g. "Experimental" vs.
> "Stable").

> What do you think about this?

I just want to point out that Tools is (well, will be) a
perfect place to design, develop and deploy (almost) all
tools.  Especially with the migration from Toolserver, the
allusion that development has to happen on Bots and deploy-
ment on Tools, can be very confusing and detrimental.

If tool maintainers don't need root privileges (or don't
know what those are :-)), they should consider Bots as just
another of the 163 projects where great and interesting
ideas are pursued.

Tim