[Labs-l] open grid on bots

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Tue Mar 12 13:36:49 UTC 2013

Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Distrust? Bots cluster have been created long time before tools labs.
> What I understand as a distrust is that wmf secretly started a new
> project with only aim which is to overtake the current one - community
> maintained, probably because people in wmf don't believe that anything
> operated by volunteers can ever work.

I meant by distrust ignoring Marc's expertise on grid.  If I
wanted some information about Prague, and you were standing
next to me, waving a giant Czech flag and wearing a shirt
with high visibility "PRAGUE" lettering, and I didn't ask
you, you would probably feel a bit uneasy.

Regarding Bots vs. Tools, whatever grievances one might have
with WMF, the intention of providing Tools as a Toolserver
replacement has been shouted from the rooftops since at
least the end of August 2011, when Ryan added
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?diff=429625.  So if it
was to be a secret, WMF was very bad at hiding it :-).  I'm
pretty sure the Bots project was only created afterwards, as
I believe Labs wasn't really in existence then :-).  And the
*only* aim of Tools is very hopefully not to take over Bots,
as Bots doesn't offer Toolserver's replicated databases (ap-
parently, Bots offers the possibility to run webservices as
well, but one has to read more than the project description
to discover this).

> However, regarding GS - we discussed it on irc, and some people knew
> that we want to install some scheduling for ages. It was no secret at
> all.

> [...]

I just looked at the IRC logs (again), and the only major
non-!log non-Tools mention of grid by you (or someone else)
on #wikimedia-labs that sprung into my eye was at 2013-03-08
15:15:30.  Which discussion do you refer to?

Tim