[Labs-l] This week's update, now with 7.3% more levity!

Dan Michael O. Heggø danmichaelo+wikipedia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 08:15:09 UTC 2013

On 11 March 2013 22:09, Marc A. Pelletier <marc at uberbox.org> wrote:
> My plate this week is going to be occupied mostly with helping people with
> the new environment, setting up puppet classes to subsume the tools-
> instances' configuration, and writing documentation aimed at tool
> maintainers looking to join the project.  (The latter being driven a great
> deal by what the actual maintainers do in fact stumble on).

When it comes to documentation, one thing I would love to see is a
short practical guide on puppet, aimed at tool maintainers on labs. I
keep seeing puppet mentioned all the time, and I understand that it's
used to manage the wikimedia servers and so on, but I've never found
the time to look into it, and it's not clear to me if it's something a
simple tool with a few dependencies can benefit from using. If the
guide could clarify this, it would be great. It would be nice to have
some example puppet files, and a guide on the process of comitting
them.

Dan Michael