[Labs-l] 2-factor shell auth (was:second attempt to request alternative login server)

Matthew Walker mwalker at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 6 18:19:32 UTC 2013

> [removed garbage about password auth being wonderful...]

I don't feel passwords are any more or less secure than keys. In some cases
keys can be even less secure if you're doing agent forwarding.

This being said -- we have two factor auth available on labsconsole; I'd
love it if two factor auth was also enabled by request for shells. I've
done this on personal servers of mine using google's solution [1]. I don't
think it would be too hard to implement on labs when time is available --
it's controlled by a file in the home directory (which might be able to be
moved, haven't looked deeply.)

[1] https://google-authenticator.googlecode.com/

~Matt Walker
Wikimedia Foundation