[Labs-l] Tools git?

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Mon Jun 24 19:06:00 UTC 2013

Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:

> as you probably know, git doesn't need a remote, you can just git init
> to create a new repository, if you really need to have remote server
> to keep your data on, I personally recommend you github because it's
> less pain to maintain than wikimedia repository...

> [...]

ACK.  For tools and developers that are familiar with Gerrit
and WMF's Bugzilla for example from their MediaWiki hacking,
using that may be an option, but for most others GitHub (and
SourceForge and ...) is probably better suited.

That's not a mistake on WMF's part -- it doesn't offer Ger-
rit because it /wants/ to be a source code hoster, but be-
cause it /has/ to for MediaWiki.  For example, if you want
to run a test suite on every commit, it's a few clicks with
GitHub and Travis CI, but probably years till a Jenkins job
is set up (if at all in our lifetimes).  You can connect
GitHub very easily to IRC/Twitter/Bugzilla/JIRA/etc., while
for WMF it was a *major* effort to set up a Gerrit/Bugzilla
interface.

Also, GitHub (and others ...) has a much more vibrant
ecosphere than WMF's Gerrit, so you might get more "drive-
by" patches there because you're not the only one tackling a
particular problem.

And the nice thing about Git: If you are not satisfied with
one hoster, you can just move to the next in a jiffy :-).

Tim