[Labs-l] [tools] New version of take

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Sat Jun 22 15:50:46 UTC 2013

On 06/22/2013 09:20 AM, Petr Bena wrote:
> More secure

If you want, I'll do a complete security review but even at first glance
your version is much less secure: you are using path names without
holding the directories open, you are not guaranteeing your checks are
all on the same object(s), and you have no guards against substitution
through a race condition.

Any utility of the sort must:

(a) take ownership of files whose owning groups your are in
(b) only in directories you own

Anything else is overbroad and open to abuse in a number of ways.

I don't know what issues and requests related to take you refer to, but
I'd rather address them with the current scheme.  :-)

-- Marc