[Labs-l] can we get rid of default vim config?

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Sat Jun 8 22:01:01 UTC 2013

Dan Michael O. Heggø <danmichaelo+wikipedia at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Haha, personally I prefer the "creepy wmf version" over the default, but
>> > what I would really like is of course to use my own version when using
>> > service accounts. Did anyone find a way to this? (without actually
>> copying
>> > the file) I like the concept of service accounts, but really miss my
>> > dotfiles when using them.

>> > [...]

>> Can't you make your .vimrc world-readable (does it contain
>> sensitive information?) and then "vim -u ~user/.vimrc"?  Ah,
>> sudo even sets SUDO_USER to the calling user, so you could
>> somewhat automate that even for multiple maintainers.

> SUDO_USER is very useful indeed. Do you also know which initialization
> files are called when becoming a service account? It would be nice to
> add `alias
> vim="vim -u ~$SUDO_USER/.vimrc"` somewhere, but .bashrc (for the service
> account) does not seem to be read.

~/.bashrc is usually called by ~/.profile which is missing
for service accounts as well.  So I copy these (slightly
adapted) to new tools I create, not least to alias "rm" to
"rm -i" :-).

That's an issue that has me thinking for some days now:
Shouldn't service accounts' home directories be set up from
/etc/skel as well?

Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:

> yes it works by doing vim -u BUT that means you need to add some extra
> stuff to .profile of every user on every project you use :/

> I understand that someone likes the version that we have on labs by
> default, but shouldn't people have option to choose what they like,
> rather than being forced to use something what someone thinks that is
> better for them...

> [...]

How would that work?  Either the plain vim or the WMF-style
users will not like the default.  But both have the option
to choose something different (I assume; I don't use vim).

Tim