[Labs-l] Removing memcache from tools

Yuvi Panda yuvipanda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 12:16:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see some of your points, but this seems to me like "make life of
> sysadmin easier" vs "make life of programmer (tool maintainer) far
> harder"

Legoktm was able to port his tool from memcached to redis in a very,
very short period of time. This is less than 15 mins of work, and will
be dwarfed by work required to fix other things that break when you
move from toolserver to toollabs.

Toolserver also never had memcached (or so Krinkle tells me), so 'will
be harder to port toolserver tools' is also not too valid reason.

And if they really, *really* want to be that lazy, I can happily help
them port. But I think most cases will just be of people adding
caching support for their tools from scratch, so I'd rather have them
use redis (with a prefix, as documented!) than memcached.

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog