[Labs-l] Help needed with instance proxy

Roan Kattouw roan.kattouw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 07:51:34 UTC 2013

2013/1/29 Silke Meyer <silke.meyer at wikimedia.de>:
> Hi Ryan and all,
>
> you proposed me to try the instance proxy to access several web services
> on different labs instances via one IP address.
>
> I found https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proxy - but that's still
> really short. How do I use it???

Generally, assuming you have a web service running on port 80 as
usual, you can go to http://<instancename>.instance-proxy.wmflabs.org/
, and it'll Just Work. For instance, I have an instance called
ve-change-marking (FQDN: ve-change-marking.pmtpa.wmflabs) running
MediaWiki and I access it at
http://ve-change-marking.instance-proxy.wmflabs.org/wiki/ .

You don't need any special setup for this. As long as the
instance-proxy instance (instance-proxy itself runs in a labs instance
:D) is able to connect to port 80 on your instance, these URLs will
work. Note that if you're running MediaWiki on the instance, you may
have to explicitly configure $wgServer =
'http://foobar.instance-proxy.wmflabs.org'; for it to work, otherwise
MediaWiki may get confused and try to redirect you to
http://foobar.pmtpa.wmflabs or something.

Roan