[Labs-l] Collection of error messages from newly created instances?

Silke Meyer silke.meyer at wikimedia.de
Mon Jan 21 17:04:15 UTC 2013

Hi all!

My experience with adding instances in labsconsole is that at least 1/3
of them never reach a usable state so I delete them, create new ones
which work. I only started to look more closely at the console log now
and was wondering if there is a place where those error messages are
collected.

E.g. today I got an instance that failed to install ldap stuff which
entailed a bunch of errors:

Jan 21 16:40:58 wikidata-testclient puppet-agent[1078]:
(/Stage[first]/Apt::Update/Exec[/usr/bin/apt-get update]/returns)
executed successfully
Jan 21 16:41:01 wikidata-testclient puppet-agent[1078]:
(/Stage[main]/Ldap::Client::Autofs/Package[autofs5-ldap]/ensure) change
from absent to latest failed: Could not update: Execution of
'/usr/bin/apt-get -q -y -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confold install
autofs5-ldap' returned 100: E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually
run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. #012 at
/etc/puppet/manifests/ldap.pp:470

Would you like to collect such things and if so where? (Separate
tickets? A common place?)

Best,
Silke

--
Silke Meyer
Systemadministratorin und Projektassistenz Wikidata

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.