[Labs-l] Visibility of tools

Harry Burt jarry1250 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:02:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Marc A. Pelletier <marc at uberbox.org> wrote:
      I think an important part of this would be to have a Wiki where the
mainspace is the tools' information and description.  I wouldn't even want
to limit it to Labs-hosted tools; there are plenty of community developers
that cannot or do not need to be hosted at the labs whose work is
nevertheless valuable to the projects and would deserve being known about.

As you may be aware Coren, the Toolserver has tried to maintain its own
list of tools in the past, and indeed still maintains an amount of
documentation on the Toolserver wiki. Note that the main issue is not the
availability of a space, it's whether tool developers can be bothered to
document their own tools. Whether they can be bothered is itself a factor
of traffic: at the moment, I think most Toolserver developers see the
primary discovery route to be via their local wiki, rather than a central
one. I don't expect that to change.

Happy to profile individual tools in the *Signpost*'s Technology Report,
but I don't have the time to write them myself at the moment.

Harry

--
Harry Burt (User:Jarry1250)

Thoughts?