[Labs-l] Maria DB

Asher Feldman afeldman at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 14 15:47:28 UTC 2013

For most projects, I recommend using the official packages available via
the MariaDB projects own apt repo.

The official packages are based on the Debian mysql packaging where
installing the server package also installs a default database created
around generic config defaults, a debian mysql maintenance user with a
randomly generated password, and scripts (including init) that assume
privileged access via that user. That is, installing the packages provides
you with a fresh running working database with generic defaults suitable
for a small server, and certain admin tasks automated. I think that's what
the average labs and general users wants and expects.

The packages I've built for production use at wmf strips out all of the
debianisms, the debian project script rewrites, the pre/post install
actions. They also leave debug symbols in the binaries and have compiler
flag tweaks, but do not at this stage contain any source
patches. Installing the server package doesn't create a default db, or
provide an environment where you can even start the server on a fresh sever
install without further work. Probably not a good choice for most labs
users.