[Labs-l] Labs testing/bug triage (was "Bot cluster reliability issues")

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 4 12:22:14 UTC 2013

Ryan Lane wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Rschen7754 <rschen7754.wiki at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I've been getting more and more frustrated with the complete lack of
>> reliability here. Currently I am unable to run my bot anywhere: bots-2
>> can't access storage anymore, bots-3 is completely dead, and bots-4 has no
>> memory. I don't have root access on bots-nr1 and -nr2 and can't install the
>> necessary packages.
>>

> Thanks for reporting this. Two of the four gluster servers glusterd service
> had crashed. I'm working on repairing this issue right now.
>

>> Even when I have been able to run the bot, I keep having to log in every
>> day and restart the bot because it shut down for some reason or another. At
>> this point, I would prefer running it on personal computing equipment
>> because that would be more stable at this point.
>>
>> Are there any plans to resolve these issues, or do I need to find another
>> hosting solution entirely?
>>

> We actively work on issues when they are reported. The current bots setup
> is non-ideal and needs some love. The new contractor position will have
> this as a priority, but we should likely take some time to fix some of the
> more serious issues immediately.
>
> - Ryan

It'd be good if there were a clear list of what the most serious issues
are, so I started looking in Bugzilla.

I see that we have about 106 open issues in Bugzilla against various
components in Labs[0], including 43 non-enhancement bugs against
Infrastructure/General/Other[1].  Are those prioritized right now in
about the right priority, reflecting what Ryan and Andrew want to be
working on next?  Does the list need bug triage?  Since some of the bug
reports are several months old, would it be useful for someone to go
through and check old ones for reproducibility?

(And btw, when should we be reporting issues in the "General" component
versus "Infrastructure"?)

Thanks.

[0]
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=VERIFIED&component=%28other%29&component=bots&component=deployment-prep%20%28beta%29&component=General&component=Infrastructure&component=webtools&component=wikistats&list_id=177703&product=Wikimedia%20Labs&query_format=advanced&resolution=---&order=priority%2Cbug_id&query_based_on=

[1]
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=177705&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&bug_severity=normal&bug_severity=minor&bug_severity=trivial&resolution=---&query_format=advanced&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=VERIFIED&component=%28other%29&component=General&component=Infrastructure&product=Wikimedia%20Labs
--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager