[Labs-l] CropTool and future possibilities

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 17 19:23:02 UTC 2013

On 12/17/2013 10:11 AM, Daniel Schwen wrote:
>     See also
>     https://www.mediawiki.org/__wiki/Extension:__PronunciationRecording
>     <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PronunciationRecording> .
>       That's planned to run on Wiktionary (and upload to Commons), so it
>     probably won't use OAuth, but I agree it's great that OAuth is
>     opening so many doors.
>

> This wouldn't even need an Extension. Some site JS would suffice.

True, though some of the supporting code does need an extension (WAV to
Ogg Vorbis translation uses TimedMediaHandler).

However, an extension allows for better i18n (it's already been
translated in over a dozen languages on TranslateWiki.Net; see
https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3AMessageGroupStats&group=ext-pronunciationrecording#sortable:3=desc).

It also provides more flexibility later.

Matt Flaschen