[Labs-l] Precise image updated

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 04:37:10 UTC 2013

I've updated the custom image we use for precise instances. Here's some
info about the new image:

1. It updates the salt configuration that was used in the old image, making
it easier for us to migrate to eqiad and makes instance creation more
reliable.
2. It adds the ubuntu-standard package, which provides a number of packages
missing from the old image.
3. It ensures a newly installed instance has a relatively small number of
outdated packages.
4. It adds a firstboot script, which takes what was previously being done
with a cloud-init script and moves it into the image. This will make it
easier to allow direct access to the APIs in the future and also makes it
easier for us to move to eqiad.

If you run into any issues building images using the precise image, let me
know.

- Ryan