[Labs-l] Renaming labs/gerrit users

Faidon Liambotis faidon at wikimedia.org
Thu Aug 29 00:20:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:29:43PM +0200, Antoine Musso wrote:
>It has always puzzled me that Gerrit merge my commits with 'Hashar'
>instead of 'Antoine Musso' :-]
>
>The procedure described above would apparently rename my account from
>'Hashar' to 'Antoine Musso'. For display purposes, cant we use a real
>name field in LDAP ?

A lot of people have fallen for the same pitfall, including myself and
most of our recent hires. I'm already fixed and that's awesome (kudos!).

I'm of the opinion that commits made my Gerrit should follow what you'd
commit yourself with git locally, and that in turn should follow what
you'd use in your email address (in my case, my first & last name but
not my middle name, in the latin alphabet using a non-ISO
transliteration schema, i.e. "Faidon Liambotis").

Maybe we should adjust the wikitech's signup page language a bit? No
idea how to properly express the above, though :) UX team to the rescue?

As we were saying yesterday on IRC, I'm also of the opinion that using
my full name in places were I'm requested for my "username" (like Gerrit
or RT) feels unnatural to me and may be one of the sources of this
confusion. I can see the point that this is how MediaWiki does it,
though, and matching other webapps with MediaWiki rather than SSH
account names (= "uid" field) might be more consistent. Thoughts?

Regards,
Faidon