[Labs-l] Plan for improving Tool Labs docs this week

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 21 04:11:46 UTC 2013

On 08/16/2013 06:23 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
Subject: Re: Plan for improving Tool Labs docs next week
> At Wikimania, I sat in on one of the three sessions about Tool Labs
> (thank you, Coren, Ryan, and Silke for doing those!), and asked about
> barriers to switching.  Aside from the storage issues, it sounds like
> people get lost in obsolete documentation.  So I spoke with Kirsten
> today and we've come up with a plan: what do you think?
>
> 1. Between now and Tuesday 20 August, Kirsten will improve
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Kmenger/ToolLabsGuide (the product
> of the July doc sprint) and fill in Pywikipedia and Git/Gerrit stuff.
> You are welcome to improve it right now to correct errors.

Done.

> 2. On Tuesday, we'll replace the Tool Labs help page(s) on
> wikitech.wikimedia.org with the new Tool Labs Guide.

Done.

In the next couple days it would also be good to clean up
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Tools#Useful_links ,
link appropriately to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Labs/Tool_Labs/Migration_of_Toolserver_tools
, ensure that all the questions from
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Help:Move_your_bot_to_Labs&oldid=11520#Set_up_your_bot
get answered in
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Tools/Help , and add
more terms to https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Terminology .  I
would love help with these odds and ends.

> 3. A couple of days after that, we'll publicize the new guide via IRC,
> social media, labs-l, maybe blog.wikimedia.org, various WMF
> wikis/village pumps/the weekly Tech News/etc.
> 4. Hopefully on Friday of next week, I'll hold an IRC sprint to consult
> with Ryan, Silke, and Coren and start to go through other current Tool
> Labs-related documentation to update/redirect/obsolete everything.
> Anyone who wants to can get started with the updating right now, of
> course.  See the list below and suggestions for what to do with each
> page -- thanks for compiling this, Kirsten!
>
> Does this sound good?  I shall read silence as consent. :-)

I've gotten silence or +1 from various folks, so we're moving ahead with
this. :-)

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager