[Labs-l] Two more questions for the FAQ page (answers missing ; ))

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Tue Aug 20 16:40:26 UTC 2013

On 08/20/2013 11:55 AM, Silke Meyer wrote:
> During the workshop at Wikimania there was this question whether it is
> okay to use Google Maps in Tools on Tool Labs.

Doing so would require that the tool respects (a) the Google Map terms
of use and (b) the Labs Terms of use.  Provided that they can be both
are respected, there is no problem.

In particular, this may mean that a user is required to read and
acknowledge a disclaimer before a tool points to Google Maps in any way
(and would exclude some use on project pages or as direct links).

> And this one turned up on IRC today: On the toolserver, there are tools
> that are NOT related to either mediawiki or a wikiverse project but they
> are related to OpenStreetmap (e.g. bots editing OSM like wall-e-bot).
> Until now the Labs Terms of Use seem to exclude these tools. Please clarify!

I can't speak fully authoritatively on that matter but my interpretation
is that our current terms of use may not cover those tasks without some
creativity.  However, that the foundation is deploying resources to
provide an OSM tile server in production clearly indicates that we
consider OSM to be an "allied" project and it might be worthwhile to
either include it explicitly or use the slack into the TOU to cover
those cases.

I certainly consider OSM-related projects to be sufficiently aligned
with Foundation interests that I consider them to fall within the Labs'
scope.

-- Marc