[Labs-l] Need help

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Mon Aug 12 18:42:36 UTC 2013

Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The last working setup I can confirm is June 24.

> Note that I created a local git repository in the directory. I have
> unsuccessfully tried to checkout the last/any version, but it might still
> be in there.

> Any help would be much appreciated.

> [...]

I made a backup copy of the directory to my personal direc-
tory.  Working on that, I see a Git commit on June 24th
(670fa7a) that added a bunch of files, and another on July
3rd (ada45db) that deleted everything.  So it looks like the
directory was corrupted between those dates and you just
saved the status quo (= nothing) afterwards.

When I try to checkout the "useful" commit 670fa7a, git com-
plains:

| error: The following untracked working tree files would be overwritten by checkout:
|         public_html
|         public_html
|         public_html
|         public_html
|         public_html
|         public_html
| Please move or remove them before you can switch branches.
| Aborting

When I remove the file public_html then and checkout again,
it restores the files as of June 24th.  So, good news if you
haven't done anything major after that date.

If it's not urgent however, I would like to let Coren inves-
tigate your directory as it is before we clobber any "evi-
dence" :-).  I understand from Andrew's announcement and
Yuvi's remark that he is "flying and/or comatose from jet-
lag" at the moment :-), so we probably will have to wait
till tomorrow.  Okay?

Tim